The Story Behind My Blog's Title

The Story Behind My Blog's Title
Why is my blog named "My Father's Oldsmobile"? Click on the car and find out.

Sunday, November 1, 2009

Book Review: It's Not About Him by Michelle Sutton

It's Not About Him by Michelle Sutton picks up with two of the characters we were introduced to in Michelle's YA novel, It's not About Me.

Both Jeff and Susie are young, struggling Christians with serious issues to face. Susie, who is pregnant when the story begins, has decided to give her baby up for adoption. Jeff, though not the father, wants to take care of Susie and her baby. Having been given up for adoption himself, and plagued with his need to know why, he believes that Susie is making the wrong choice. In the midst of this conflict is a burgeoning romance.

There's not a subject this book doesn't approach. Alcoholism, rape, sexual temptation, death; Michelle takes on each of these, and shows how her characters overcome their pain and temptation with God's help.

My favorite part about this book was the completeness of the journey, starting with Susie's decision to give up her baby, and ending with the resolution Jeff finds at the book's conclusion. I don't want to give anymore away than that.

Next fall the third book in the It's Not About series comes out and it picks up with Tony. I'm glad, because I like and sympathize with his character, and look forward to seeing him conquer his struggles through Christ.

Good job, Michelle!


On Wednesday Linda Nixon Fulkerson is going to guest blog. And starting next week I'm going to begin a series on research. It may be a little slow at first since I'm still lining up guests.

I have a treat though! I came across so many interesting facts while I was researching No Other, but none were as fascinating -- and heartwrenching -- as the stories of the German immigrant families who were interned during the war. This historical reality is the heart of my book. It's the emotional framework for Jakob; and to understand him, you have to know what these people went through. During this series on research, I'd like to highlight a different family's story each week. I think this is important to share, and I believe you will agree.

Blessing,
Shawna

3 comments:

  1. Great review!
    Can't wait for you to share your research :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the review, Shawna. Glad you enjoyed the story!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're welcome, Michelle. KM, some of the stories will make you cry.

    ReplyDelete


1970 Olds 442

Welcome!

If you're curious about the story behind the name of my blog, click on the car. :)